Celebrate the American spirit on Election Day with this classic recipe. Here’s how you can make your own apple pie in 10 easy steps.
4 pounds of apples
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 (14.1 ounce) package of refrigerated piecrusts
1 egg white
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a cast-iron skillet and add brown sugar. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved, and then remove the pan from heat.
3. Place the first pie crust in the bottom of the cast-iron skillet, covering the brown sugar mixture.
4. Peel and cut apples, and add to a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
5. Spoon apple mixture over pie crust.
6. Cover the pie with the second pie crust.
7. Whisk egg white until it’s foamy, and brush the top of the pie crust with the egg white.
8. Sprinkle with two tablespoons of granulated sugar.
9. Cut several slits in the top of the pie crust for airflow.
10. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, and then cover with foil. Bake for an additional 10-20 minutes.